Afghan Forces Recapture Site Of Village 'Massacre'

Bruno Cirelli
Agosto 16, 2017

Afghan forces have recaptured a remote village where Taliban and Daesh fighters allegedly massacred dozens of civilians earlier this month, officials said Tuesday.

Militants killed about 50 men, women and children in Mirzawalang, a village in Sayad district of northern Sar-e Pul province, on August 5 after overrunning a government-backed militia, according to officials and residents. A number of Afghan security forces were also among the dead.

"Our forces are in full control of the village and are searching for Taliban mines and booby traps", Nasratullah Jamshidi told the AFP news agency.

Dawlat Waziri, a spokesman for the Afghan defense ministry, said forces had "pushed the Taliban out of the village" on Monday afternoon.

"They had recruited forces from other provinces of the country and attacked Mirzawalang village", Zabihullah Amani, spokesman for the provincial governor, said after the attack. He told AFP that militants had suffered "heavy casualties".

Earlier, Afghan Taliban Spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid had rejected reports that the group has recently killed dozens of Shiite civilians in the village as rumors spread by the United States and Afghan governments.

Following the take over of the valley insurgents targeted civilians and killed around 54 villagers.

Survivors fleeing the violence described nightmarish scenes of militants going from house to house, gunning down local people.

This is not the first time the ISIS loyalists have claimed responsibility behind the attack on Shi'ites in Afghanistan but the group has claimed credit for the numerous other attacks including deadly bombings on gatherings and mosques.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE