Mattis: North Korea must 'stand down' its pursuit of nukes

Bruno Cirelli
Agosto 9, 2017

He also asserted that any action by North Korea would be grossly overmatched by the USA, and that Pyongyang would lose any arms race or conflict it started.

The US, which protects its air and naval bases on Guam with advanced missile defenses, appeared prepared to meet the challenge of North Korea's unreliable missiles. "The DPRK must choose to stop isolating itself and stand down its pursuit of nuclear weapons", he explained in an official statement. He says that while the U.S.is pursuing diplomatic solutions, the combined military power of America and its allies is the most robust on Earth.

The news comes after dictator Kim Jong Un threatened to attack USA forces in Guam after revelations that his regime now has mini-nukes.

The defense secretary's statement comes on the heels of a Washington Post report featuring a Defense Intelligence Agency assessment that North Korea has the ability to miniaturize a nuclear warhead for placement on an intercontinental ballistic missile.Furthermore, Mattis said President Trump, when informed in December of North Korea's growing nuclear capabilities, emphasized the readiness of us nuclear deterrent forces. Lest anyone think Trump was speaking without the counsel of his top military man, Mattis said Trump is well aware of the depth of the North Korean threat. Punishing sanctions passed last week by the United Nations only served to increase Pyongyang's hostility toward the world, and in particular, the U.S.

Trump leveled his initial threat on Tuesday, after the report that North Korea is closer than previously believed to making good on its threats.

The rebuke comes as tensions have heightened over North Korea's threats to strike the US with nuclear weapons.

After a heated exchange between President Donald Trump and North Korea that culminated in Pyongyang threatening to envelope the United States territory of Guam in missile fire, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis laid bare the US's resolve against intimidation.

"We always maintain a high state of readiness and have the capabilities to counter any threat, to include those from North Korea", Lt. Col. Christopher Logan, a Pentagon spokesman, told Business Insider. "They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen".

Trump followed his threat with a tweet Wednesday declaring the U.S.is more than ready for a war.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE