Algae alert issued for Odell Lake, popular summer spot in the Cascades

Barsaba Taglieri
Luglio 27, 2017

If contact occurs, wash with tap water as soon as possible.

Do not feed whole fish or fish trimmings from the lake to pets.

The problem is harmful algal blooms, which poison water with toxins from blue-green algae.

Anglers can eat fish they catch - Odell is popular for kokanee and lake trout anglers - but should cut away all organs, fat and skin then rinse the fillets in clean water. Pets can also be affected by exposure to the algal toxins and thus owners should not allow pets to drink or swim in the water.

Appearing like scum, grass clippings, fuzz or globs on the surface of water, blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) can be blue-green, greenish-brown, brown and/or pinkish-red, and often smell musty or grassy.

Most blooms are harmless, but certain cyanobacteria species can produce toxins capable of damaging the central nervous system and the liver.

Those who come in contact with visible blue-green algae, or who ingest water containing blue-green algae, may experience skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea, or difficulty breathing.

Kawartha Conservation says algae blooms, which can often give the water a pea soup appearance, can last up to three weeks and be pushed around the lake by the wind and currents.

The advisory will remain in effect for Pine Lake until further notice. It also offers tips to reduce the risk to your pet - like keeping them from licking wet fur.

The Ontario Ministry of Environment and Climate Change has confirmed the presence of blue-green algae in the area of Palmer Park in Port Perry, Ont.

Authorities across the United States are issuing advisories to the public after several bodies of water were found to have unsafe levels of toxic blue-green algae.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE