Barcelona attack: Victims came from various nationalities

Paterniano Del Favero
Agosto 22, 2017

French media said on Saturday the vehicle had been found near Barcelona.

Two people are in now in custody after a van ran over pedestrians ploughed into pedestrians along the Las Ramblas boulevard on Thursday afternoon killing 13 people and injuring over 100 others.

Police said Sunday that the group inside the house had been planning for "one or more" attacks on Barcelona.

The attack is the deadliest in Spain since March 2004, when Islamist militants placed bombs on commuter trains in Madrid, killing 191 people and wounding more than 1,800.

Abouyaaqoub had been the only one of 12 alleged accomplices still at large.

There are now calls for barriers to be introduced in the Las Ramblas area - where it happened. The protest by about 100 members of Barcelona's Muslim community was held at the Canaletas Fountain at the top of the promenade.

The Spanish royal household said on Twitter: "They are murderers, nothing more than criminals who are not going to terrorise us".

He said no new attacks were imminent, the country's terrorist threat alert will be maintained at level four, and security at popular events and tourist sites around the country will be reinforced.

The mayor of the Vilvorde region in Belgium confirmed Satty had spent time in the Brussels suburb of Machelen in the months leading up a terror attack there that killed 32.

According to local media, she was on holiday with her husband and sister, who were both injured in the attack.

News reports said Lopardo was an Italian who had immigrated to Argentina in 1950 and was visiting Barcelona.

"Italy remembers Bruno Gulotta and Luca Russo and gathers tight around their families", he said.

The broadcaster said the suspects tried to carry out a similar attack to the one in Barcelonaby driving a vehicle into pedestrians.

Their names are yet to be released.

Spanish authorities on Saturday made a decision to maintain the country's current terrorist threat alert at level 4, a notch below the maximum level which would signal an attack was imminent.

Authorities are looking for Younes Abouyaaqoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan-born man.

Philippine Foreign Affairs Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs Sarah Arriola said in a statement Saturday that the 43-year-old Filipino woman was seriously injured in Thursday's attack. She said they married a year ago.

Arriola said the woman and her son were in Barcelona to attend the wedding of a cousin from the Philippines.

Spain's King Felipe and Queen Letizia, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa joined Catalan leaders on Sunday for a service in memory of the victims of the attack at Barcelona's towering Sagrada Familia church, one of the city's landmarks designed by architect Antoni Gaudi.

The Catalan regional government said all European police forces were now searching for Abouyaaqoub and authorities could not rule out that Abouyaaqoub had slipped across the border into France.

Trump initially offered supportive words to Spain in a tweet Thursday.

The four people arrested so far in connection with the attacks are three Moroccans and a citizen of Spain's North African enclave of Melilla.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE