Moscow Mule copper mugs could make you sick, officials say

Bruno Cirelli
Agosto 13, 2017

That includes vinegar, fruit juice, wine and, yes, a traditional Moscow mule, whose pH is "well below 6.0." the bulletin says. Cocktails like Moscow Mule, which are broadly served in copper mugs, fall well below this standard. But perhaps the most crucial component of the drink is the copper mug in which it's nearly always served, beverage aficionados say.

According to health officials the acid in the cocktail can leach out the copper metal and once it's swallowed it can cause stomach pains unpleasant trips to the bathroom, or worse.

The Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division has issued a warning about serving beverages or acidic foods in copper containers.

Iowa and many other states have adopted the federal Food and Drug Administration's Model Food Code, which prohibits copper from coming into direct contact with foods that have a pH below 6.0, according to a press release from the Iowa ABC. Chronic copper poisoning can cause liver and kidney damage. Otherwise, opt for a tumbler.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE