Australia Charges Two Men in Sydney Over Plot to Blow up Plane

Paterniano Del Favero
Agosto 4, 2017

A fourth man, 50-year-old Abdul Merhi, was released without charge on Sunday night.

Huge queues are seen at Sydney Airport this week as passengers were subjected to increased security measures.

Earlier, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull police investigations have proceeded well in terms of uncovering evidence.

Two men were charged with terrorism offenses in Australia on Thursday in connection with an alleged plot to bring down an airplane, police said.

The sweeping operation that let to the arrests of four men on Saturday prompted a bolstering of security measures at Australia's major airports and lengthy passenger delays.

The men, who were arrested on Saturday during a series of police raids across Sydney, have been behind bars as officers scour properties in Surry Hills, Lakemba, Wiley Park and Punchbowl for evidence.

Four men were arrested last week, over the alleged plot to take down a passenger plane using a bomb disguised as a meat mincer.

Then at the boarding gate, cameras would identify passengers as they approach the barriers, which would automatically open and allow the passenger on board: a concept now being trialled at Brisbane Airport with selected Air New Zealand flyers, reports Australian Business Traveller.

"That is because the plot has been disrupted and has been contained", said Turnbull, adding charges would be laid in due course, without elaborating. "Etihad is complying fully with the enhanced security measures at airports in Australia and monitoring the situation closely".

Mr Fuller welcomed the scrutiny, saying he had a responsibility to protect the people of NSW.

Police have called for photo identification to be reintroduced for issuing domestic plane tickets and for all airport employees to go through security screening. "Unless you happen to be someone who really stands out, you are going to fly right through security".

As Breitbart Jerusalem reported, the four were arrested on Saturday night when Australian police foiled what they claim was an "Islamic-inspired" terror plot created to destroy an aeroplane bound for the Middle East.

That means a return to normal check-in times for travellers, however plainclothes officers and extra training for cabin crew will remain in place.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE