Pert resigns as Collingwood chief executive

Paterniano Del Favero
Luglio 24, 2017

Collingwood chief executive Gary Pert says the timing was flawless to announce his resignation after a decade at the helm of the AFL's biggest club.

The one-time All-Australian-turned-administrator is leaving as the board conducts a wide-ranging club review.

"The 10 years that Gary Pert has been chief executive have been unbelievable".

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire said on Monday that he accepted Pert's resignation.

"To implement the outcomes that will come from the blueprint review, Collingwood needs someone prepared to be committed all the way", said Pert.

Nathan Buckley listens as Gary Pert announces his resignation.

"I'm midway through a contract and I had to request to be let go from that contract".

Under the Pert regime, said the president, the Magpies had expanded and renovated their headquarters, won a flag, embraced not one but two women's sporting clubs, provided beds for the homeless and doubled their staff.McGuire said that the AFL's move to narrow the gap between the rich and poor clubs had blown up Collingwood's business plan and forced this current review which formalised Pert's downfall. My personal ambitions are the only thoughts I've had in this process. "I see that as the responsible thing for me to do". That knowledge has been seeping in for some time but crystallised when Murphy and Pert met last week and it became clear that Murphy's coming report to the board was punctuated by some significant staff disgruntlement and misgivings about the Magpies' off-field performance.

"It was a decision that was made after quite a period of time thinking about where the club is at", Pert said.

Still, putting aside the spin, it should be said that 10 years as a club chief executive is an impressive innings in the gruelling AFL community and a premiership is a mighty achievement.

"It's now time for someone else to take on the new vision. that's what was behind the decision", he said.

Pert said McGuire had been "amazingly supportive" of the decision, and added he wouldn't have a role in determining the future of coach Nathan Buckley.

The former Fitzroy and Collingwood player said he had not considered any vacant AFL roles at head office. I know my next step is to take a break. "I have been involved in executive roles for 25 years", he said.

McGuire has said he has no intention of stepping down and is determined to set the Magpies up for the next decade.

It remains to be seen whether out-of-contract coach Buckley will be retained, having led his side to seven wins in 17 games so far in 2017. Buckley said a year ago he felt he was unlikely to be given a new contract if the Pies failed to make the finals this season.

Buckley has not been helped by the revolving door that has been football-operations boss through his tenure.

Earlier this month, Pert guaranteed Buckley's position until the end of the season.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE