Police shot dead in attack at Temple Mount in Jerusalem

Bruno Cirelli
Luglio 17, 2017

Israeli authorities shut the area to Muslims gathering for Friday prayers citing security concerns, prompting anger among Palestinian religious leaders.

Netanyahu's statement came after three Palestinians opened fire on Israelis near the site, wounding three before fleeing into the compound where they were killed in a gunfight with security forces.

Some women wailed and cried while telling people not to enter. Al-Azhar also demanded the reopening of Al-Aqsa Mosque. "We will stay outside the mosque until we get back the way it was taken from us", he said. Sheikh Omar Awadallah Kiswani, director of the al-Aqsa mosque, argued that this was a change of the status quo and, eventually, his employees were allowed to skip the controls.

Later in the day, a funeral procession sought to enter with a coffin but was not allowed through.

Israeli cancelled Friday prayers in the Al-Aqsa Mosque after three Palestinians and two Israeli police officers were killed in a gun battle at the mosque compound. The three Arab -Israeli were later killed by the security forces.

Police said the gunmen opened fired as they made their way from the shrine toward Lions' Gate, an opening in Jerusalem's Old City walls.

Prior to Sunday, metal detectors were only stationed at the entrance for non-Muslim visitors.

"Until now, we don't know what is going on with my father", he said.

Netanyahu spoke by phone with Jordan's King Abdullah II on Saturday night, a statement from Amman said.

Yoram Ha-Levy, Jerusalem police district commander, said that Friday prayers will not be held at the Al-Aqsa mosque.

Update: According to Israel Hatzolah, the group of Jews said Kaddish at the location where the two Druze policemen were murdered by the terrorists.

Some female worshippers were moved to tears as they urged others not to pass through the new security measures.

The compound lies in east Jerusalem, occupied by Israel in the 1967 Six-Day War and later annexed in a move that was never recognised by the global community, adds Al-Jazeera.

Protesting the installation of metal detectors and cameras on the holy site, worshippers resorted to praying outside the compound, amid chants of "Allahu Akbar", or "God is Greatest".

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo