Afghan forces recapture Nawa district from Taliban in Helmand

Bruno Cirelli
Luglio 17, 2017

U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said the "horrifying" figure of 1,662 people killed between January and June of this year "can never fully convey the sheer human suffering of the people of Afghanistan".

Afghanistan's protracted war killed a record number of civilians during the first six months of this year, according to a United Nations report released Monday, which blamed the majority of the deaths on bombings by insurgents. More women and children were also among the dead this year.

The Afghan national defence and security forces on Monday regained the control of the district centre of Nawa in southern Helmand province, nine months after it was captured by the Taliban insurgents, state-run Khaama Press reported.

Defense Ministry's spokesman, Daulat Waziri, said on Monday that the battle to recapture the district of Naway had been fierce. He said ANDSF are now controlling Nawa district and are clearing mines and IEDs planted by Taliban to protect civilian lives.

The operation would continue with security forces moving further south along the main road to the town of Garmsir, officials said. There was no immediate comment from the Taliban.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE