Relocating of Women's Open tabled 2 years ago after Trump lawsuit threat

Barsaba Taglieri
Luglio 12, 2017

The president will head to Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster on Friday and return to Washington, D.C., on Sunday, according to a new notice to pilots posted Monday morning by the Federal Aviation Administration.

But the USGA was swayed under direct threat of a lawsuit from Trump, the report said.

Judging from the responses to questions about President Trump Tuesday at the site of the 2017 U.S. Women's Open - the Trump National Golf Club - none of the golfers or U.S. Golf Association officials made available to the media wanted to tread anywhere near controversy or making comments that could be perceived as critical of the commander-in-chief.

Trump's son Eric said earlier this year that the U.S. Women's Open at Bedminster will be "the best tournament [the USGA] has ever had".

Three-time Open victor Inbee Park said she was not surprised players are avoiding political questions. And I mean I don't really think that [I] really have much to say because I think it is really up to him whether [Trump] wants to come or not. "He's going to sue us".

Relocating of Women's Open tabled 2 years ago after Trump lawsuit threat

During pre-tournament interviews on Tuesday, players naturally were asked if they had any thoughts about playing the Open at a Trump course, along with whether the President should attend the event and if they felt the atmosphere was different from previous Opens because of the Trump factor.

"I take my role as a female role model very seriously", said Wie, 27, before abruptly changing course and making the remainder of her answer about golf. "It is one of my favorite weeks of the year", said the 27-year-old who won this event in 2014. So this week, you know, I really want to focus on the golf part, and I want to hopefully inspire a lot of young women and women in general hopefully with my game.

"The U.S. Open is our national championship".

Ryu, the only two time victor on the LPGA Tour this year and the current No. 1 in the women's rankings, said she does not know much about USA politics but understands it's an issue because the tournament is being played at Trump's property.

When reached for comment, the U.S.G.A. issued the following statement to Vanity Fair, "As a matter of policy, the terms of our contracts with championship host sites are confidential and accordingly the U.S.G.A. will not comment".

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE