Remains of 7 sailors killed in United States ship collision return home

Bruno Cirelli
Giugno 27, 2017

"That (1:30 a.m. crash time) is not our understanding", Flanders told The Associated Press.

The Japan Coast Guard has already spoken to the Filipino crew and is also probing the inconsistency.

Other investigations could come from the Japanese and Philippine authorities, because of where the accident took place and the Philippine registration of the container ship.

Japan's coastguard is conducting a probe, including interviewing the Japanese-owned container ship's Filipino crew, although the U.S. has primary jurisdiction in probing accidents involving military personnel.

Nanami Meguro, a spokeswoman for NYK Line, the ship's operator, agreed with the earlier timing.

The collision happened while the USS Fitzgerald was conducting routine operations off the coast of Japan.

"The Fitzgerald crew responded professionally as all sailors are expected to fight the damage sustained to their ship".

An enlisted surface warfare specialist, the 23-year-old started working on board the USS Fitzgerald on July 31, 2014.

The sailors, aged between 19 and 37, were reported missing after Saturday's predawn collision which triggered a major US-Japanese search operation.

He said judging from the Crystal's path, after the collision, it veered dramatically off-course after the impact, corrected itself, and continued to sail its course before making a U-turn to see what had been hit, arriving back near the USS Fitzgerald about an hour later.

The sailors' remains are expected to arrive at Dover Air Force Base in DE on Tuesday. Benson and two sailors with minor injuries were evacuated on Japanese Coast Guard helicopters to Naval Hospital Yokosuka.

The captain of the Fitzgerald, Cmdr.

The coast guard initially said the collision occurred at 2:20 a.m., as the Philippine ship had reported it at 2:25 a.m. and said it just happened.

Carmen said she reached out to other families after the collision.

Harden told his mother that four men in his berth and three in the one above him died in the accident.

Extensive damage to the destroyer's starboard side and that to the container ship on its port side suggest that, but they say it is too early to determine responsibility. Joseph Aucoin, the commander of the Navy's 7th Fleet, at a news conference.

"The collision affected Fitzgerald's forward starboard side above and below the water line, causing significant damage and associated flooding to two berthing spaces, a machinery space, and the radio room", according to a statement from U.S. 7th Fleet.

"The water flow was tremendous, and so there wasn't a lot of time in those spaces that were open to the sea. They are known as the "Fighting Fitz", and the crew lived up to that name", the admiral added.

He thanked "our Japanese allies" for their swift assistance, and said the Navy will full investigate the cause.

Under maritime law, the container ship had an obligation to avoid a collision if it was trying to overtake the destroyer from behind. He also said three compartments were severely damaged. Authorities have declined to speculate on a cause while the crash remains under investigation.

There have been around 30 ship collisions over the past decade in the area, including a 2013 incident in which six Japanese crew died.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE