Mentally ill, black pregnant woman shot and killed by police in Seattle

Bruno Cirelli
Giugno 22, 2017

A child steps over burned-out candles at a memorial outside where a pregnant mother was shot and killed at her apartment a day earlier by police, Monday, June 19, 2017, in Seattle.

A #Pregnant Woman called the police for help but she ended up getting fatally shot by the two #Seattle Police officers who responded to her call.

The headline from NBC News that was posted on has some people unhappy about what was written because it did not include information about her allegedly coming at police with a knife. The officers say when they arrived, Lyles began explaining the situation and then reportedly came at them with a knife.

The transcript of the encounter released by police late Monday shows that one of the officers said "we need help" and they were facing "a woman with two knives".

The department released an audio tape of Sunday's encounter in which officers can be heard shouting, "Get back!"

After repeatedly yelling, "Get back", shots rang out.

Lyles' family have also questioned the police and relevant authorities asking why a less lethal option was not exercised especially considering the police was aware of her condition.

"Why couldn't they have Tased her?" Monika Williams, the sister of the slain woman, told reporters outside the apartment building.

"It is tragic that on a day meant for the celebration of family, a pregnant mother of four was taken from the arms of her loved ones", said Gonzalez. "I could have taken her down".

The cops alleged that they shot the woman, Charleena Lyles, out of self-defense after she threatened them with two knives. Lyles was black; the officers, identified as Steven McNew, a 34-year-old who joined the force in 2008, and Jason Anderson, 32, who joined in 2015, were white. A police spokesman referred calls to that office because it is separate.

Critics are calling for a thorough investigation into what the incident at Lyles' home, and they're demanding accountability for the two as-yet unnamed officers involved.

Lyles' death comes as there have been national debates about police' excessive use of force against black people.

According to King County jail records, Lyles was arrested and charged with obstruction of a public officer and harassment of a law enforcement officer on June 5.

It has been reported that children inside the apartment at the time the argument sparked off.

During the June 5 incident, Lyles spoke about wanting to "morph into a wolf" and made "several unusual religious comments talking about how the police officers were devils and also members of the KKK", Officer Davidson Lim wrote in a police report. "They are unharmed, they are being taken care of right now", he said.

Family members have suggested the race of Lyles, who was black, may have played a part in the shooting and want to know why police didn't use a non-lethal option. It's time to actually start holding officers accountable when they kill innocent victims; sending a clear and strong message that force of that kind won't be tolerated. Prompted by Lyles' family after a series of speeches, rally attendees marched for four miles to Husky Stadium, where they were met with police.

"Sadly, this incident demonstrates why our police accountability legislation", she added.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo