British police arrest man in London Bridge attack investigation

Bruno Cirelli
Giugno 8, 2017

The Metropolitan Police arrested a man in connection to the London Bridge and Borough Market attacks that killed seven people and wounded 48 on Saturday night.

Less than two weeks before the London Bridge attack, a suicide bomber killed 22 adults and children at a pop concert in Manchester and, in March, five people were killed when a auto drove into pedestrians on London's Westminster Bridge. The other two attackers were Pakistan-born Khuram Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane. "I'm sure the police will look into what they knew, what they could have done, what they did do and if anything could have been done differently", London Mayor Sadiq Khan told BBC. The Renault van used to stage the attack was hired just before the attack, police said.

The family of 32-year-old Briton James McMullan said they believed he, too, had lost his life.

A minute's silence was held across Britain at 11 am to honour all the victims.

When May called the election in April, her Conservatives led in opinion polls by 20 points or more. "But there was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritised accordingly".

As details about the jihadists have emerged, Ms May has faced questions about her record of overseeing cuts to police numbers when she was interior minister. He sought to deflect the pressure onto Labour, accusing them of weakness.

Prime Minister Theresa May earlier said the three terrorists responsible for the London attack have been identified and their names would be revealed soon.

May's chief rival in Thursday election, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, has seized on this fact and called for her resignation on Monday. On Monday night police said that all 12 people arrested following the attacks had been released without charge.

That was enough to warrant the warning to Britain and Morocco, but not to take further action against him, he said.

ROME One of three jihadis who killed seven people in London last week told Italian police he wanted to be a terrorist when they kept him from travelling to the Middle East a year ago, an Italian prosecutor said on Tuesday.British police named Moroccan-Italian Youssef Zaghba, 22, as one of the perpetrators of the June 3 attack, the third carried out by Islamists in Britain in as many months.Zaghba, whose Italian mother lives near the city of Bologna, was stopped at the airport there in 2016 when he was trying to fly to Turkey, city prosecutor Giuseppe Amato told broadcaster Radio24.

The second attacker who has been named was 30-year-old Rachid Redouane, who also went by the alias Rachid Elkhdar and claimed to be Moroccan or Libyan, police said. Both men lived in the same area of east London.

The revelation that at least one of Saturday's attackers, Khuram Butt, was known to security services has raised concerns that they lack the resources to prevent attacks.

The assault continued when the men, each armed with a knife, jumped out of the van and went on a stabbing spree in nearby bars and restaurants.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE