Dortmund bus attack suspect bet against the team

Bruno Cirelli
Aprile 23, 2017

Employees of Comdirect, an online bank attached to the German bank Commerzbank, had alerted police of Sergej W's purchase after the bank suspected him of money laundering.

German prosecutors say they believe a 28-year-old German-Russian man suspected of carrying out a bombing attack on the Borussia Dortmund soccer team's bus acted alone.

TRT World spoke to journalist David Charter who is following the story from Berlin.

In addition to attempted murder, the suspect also was charged by federal prosecutors with inflicting serious bodily harm and staging an attack with explosives.

"A significant drop in the price could have been expected if, as a result of the attack, players had been seriously injured or even killed", prosecutors said.

In a joint statement, Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke and president Dr Reinhard Rauball said: 'We are grateful for the fact that in the suspect the responsible person for the humiliating attack on our players and staff members could be taken'. For what it's worth, shares for Borussia Dortmund traded at 5.75 on April 10, dipping to 5.5 on the day of the bombing and slipping to 5.38 on April 20, but have rebounded to 5.52 as of the afternoon of April 21. "There are a couple of letters claiming responsibility on behalf of the so-called Islamic State, but another letter claimed responsibility on behalf of right-wing extremists", McGuinness said.

Spanish defender Marc Bartra, 26, suffered injuries to an arm and hand, the team said.

FILE - In this April 11, 2017 file photo a window of Dortmund's team bus is damaged after an explosion before the Champions League quarterfinal soccer match between Borussia Dortmund and AS Monaco in Dortmund, western Germany.

These 15,000 options could have been sold at a pre-determined price by June 17, with a sharp fall in the share price promising a high profit.

German media reported that the suspect stayed at a hotel next to the explosion site and behaved suspiciously while other guests panicked after hearing the triple blast.

Ralf Jaeger, the top security official in North Rhine-Westphalia state, said the suspect had hoped to earn millions.

He did not play in the postponed match, which AS Monaco won 3-2.

Prosecutors said the suspect also booked into the Dortmund hotel where the team was staying.

However, Frauke Köhler, spokeswoman for the Federal Prosecutor's Office in Karlsruhe, said investigators had no evidence pointing to accomplices.

Captain Marcel Schmelzer said the team hoped to learn further details about the background to the attack.

The incident initially was treated as a terrorist incident after a note hinting at an Islamist connection was found at the scene.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE