France promises proof Assad regime behind chemical attack

Bruno Cirelli
Aprile 21, 2017

Without any investigation carried out, the USA labeled Assad's government as perpetrators and fired a barrage of Tomahawk missiles at Shayrat airbase, which it said was the source of the attack.

"While further details of the laboratory analyses will follow, the analytical results already obtained are incontrovertible", he said.

The U.S. and many other nations have accused the Syrian government of responsibility.

"The OPCW executive council has overwhelmingly rejected the Russian and Iranian decision".

The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) has revealed that either sarin gas or a similar substance was used in the attack that killed around 90 persons in Syria's Idlib on 4th April.

On Wednesday, he said France would produce proof "in a few days" that Assad launched the chemical strike.

The finding supported earlier testing by Turkish and British laboratories.

Syria President Bashar Assad said that his government had never used weapons of mass destruction, including chemical weapons, against the Syrians, and all the chemical weapons which had been stored by the government before the deadly incident in East Gouta in 2013 had been destroyed under the OPCW's supervision.

The team "deserves our full confidence", the Belgian representative to the OPCW told the meeting on Wednesday. "Till this moment, we didn't have any positive news regarding any delegation coming", he added.

As for the impact of that incident, the adviser said that the recent USA attack on Sheyrat's Syrian airbase in the province of Homs had a political rather than a military objective, insisting that Syria will respond to this "aggression" in the appropriate time.

The draft decision proposed by Russian Federation and Iran also sought to urge member states to "provide national experts for participation in the investigation".

After the chemical weapons attack in Syria's Idlib Province, a Russian drone was seen flying over a hospital where victims of the chemical weapons attack were taken.

It came after a joint UN-OPCW investigation concluded in October that the Syrian air force had dropped chlorine barrel-bombs from helicopters on three opposition-held villages in 2014 and 2015.

He pointed out that in late 2016, Russian experts recorded a mustard gas attack carried out by militants in Aleppo.

Russian Federation and Iran have issued a joint call for a new "full-scale and thorough investigation" into the attack.

Moscow has criticised the OPCW for not sending experts to the attack site, saying it was "unacceptable to analyse events from a distance".

But OPCW director general Ahmet Uzumcu said a team was ready to head to the town "should the security situation so permit".

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE