Few ads run on 'O'Reilly Factor' as boycott takes effect

Ausiliatrice Cristiano
Aprile 21, 2017

The advertisers pulled out after the New York Times revealed over the weekend that five women were paid settlements totalling $13 million to keep quiet about supposed sexual harassment by O'Reilly.

As advertisers dropped Fox News' O'Reilly Factor amid sexual harassment allegations, President Donald Trump stepped in to defend the TV host, which led Late Night host Seth Meyers to examine a bit more closely the "symbiotic relationship" between Trump, O'Reilly and the news network in his "Closer Look".

"Personally, I think he shouldn't have settled", Trump said, suggesting O'Reilly should have fought the lawsuits in court.

Last year, UltraViolet took to social media to draw attention to the issue with an image macro pairing O'Reilly's image with the caption "Have You been Sexually Harassed By Bill O'Reilly?" that "targeted" female Fox News employees. "He's a person I know well - he is a good person".

"It's all catching up with Bill O'Reilly and that sexual harassment enterprise at Fox [News]", she said in reference to the dozens of advertisers who have said they will not buy spots during his show "The O'Reilly Factor". It's up to Fox News to choose what's more important to them - making money while fostering an environment of sexual assault, or doing the right thing.

Henry Holt, the publisher of O'Reilly's new book "Old School", has said it has "no comment at this time" on the allegations against its author.

A number of major advertisers have cancelled spots on USA television's most-watched cable news show, "The O'Reilly Factor", following recent revelations of three new cases alleging abusive behaviour.

President Donald Trump on Wednesday weighed in on the recent controversy surrounding Fox News host Bill O'Reilly.

California Democratic Congresswoman Maxine Waters, recently insulted by the embattled Bill O'Reilly as being inaudible because of her "James Brown wig", said Wednesday that the Fox News ratings king should go to jail.

In 2011, Fox News terminated its contract with Glenn Beck after 200 companies pulled their advertisements.

Fox has "treated women very badly", Waters said, adding that she supported a criminal investigation of the matter.

While O'Reilly may be so invaluable the network won't let him go, companies have launched a successful boycott of a host in the not-so-distant past. White, college-educated women ignored those comments and voted for Trump over Hilary Clinton in the November 8 election.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE