Afghan death toll from 'mother of all bombs' rises to 94

Bruno Cirelli
Aprile 20, 2017

In a statement, General John Nicholson, commander of USA forces in Afghanistan, said that as ISIS faced mounting losses, the group was using improvised explosive devices, bunkers and tunnels to "thicken their defence".

A Ministry of Defence official said on Friday that the number of dead could rise as officials assessed the bomb site in Achin district.

Akifi stressed Afghanistan's readiness to use all available resources to combat terrorism in cooperation with worldwide allies.

American officials said the bomb had been positioned for possible use in Afghanistan for "some time" since the administration of former president Barack Obama.

The Taliban, the main security threat to Afghan and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation forces trying to quell their stubborn insurgency, also denounced the bombing.

Residents said they saw militants climbing up and down the mountain every day, making occasional visits to the village.

According to Indian intelligence officials, Murshid Mohammed, in his 20s, from Kasaragode, Kerala, was among the ISIS militants killed after the USA military struck ISIS' position in Nangarhar province near the Pakistan border April 13 with a massive 10-ton missile-powered bomb.

The United States has steadily intensified its air campaign against Islamic State and Taliban militants in Afghanistan, with the Air Force deploying almost 500 weapons in the first three months of 2017, up from 300 in the corresponding 2016 period. He said he could see smoke in the sky.

"The whole house was shaking", said Mufti Khan of Achin district in Nangarhar.

But the group has been steadily losing ground in the face of heavy pressure both from United States air strikes and a ground offensive led by Afghan forces.

"They killed our women, youths and elders sitting them on mines".

U.S. President Donald Trump April 13 called the bombing "another successful job".

The U.S. attack Thursday on an Islamic State tunnel complex, in eastern Nangarhar province near the Pakistan border, killed at least four Islamic State leaders, Khogyani said. "We also ask the Kabul government to use even stronger weapons against them".

It's estimated 600 to 800 Islamic State fighters are in Afghanistan. This comes as the United Nations recently published a report saying airstrikes from the Afghan government forces and the US -led coalition killed nearly 600 civilians in 2016 - almost twice as many than in 2015.

No civilian was injured in the raid which took place in Mohmand Dara village, Asadkhil area of the district, the statement added.

The Site Intelligence Group, which tracks extremist organizations, reported Friday on a statement from the Afghan Taliban condemning the USA for its "terrorist" attack.

The statement said it is the responsibility of Afghans to remove the Islamic State group from the country not the U.S. The two militant movements are rivals. Over the past year they have largely concentrated on thwarting a surge of attacks by the Taliban, who have captured key districts, such as the Helmand province, which American and British troops had fought bitterly to return to the government.

Altre relazioni OverNewsmagazine

Discuti questo articolo

SEGUI I NOSTRI GIORNALE